Thursday, July 22, 2010

Momento Mori




Memento Mori

A beautiful Latin phrase meaning "Remember you will die."

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with death. I guess you can say I am attracted to the darker side of life. Cemeteries are some of the most beautiful an fascinating places I have ever been. In old colonial cemeteries there are some beautiful headstone decorated with wonderful skulls. That's where I got the idea for my Momento Mori scarf.

This scarf is done in piece work, each motif being crocheted separately and then sewn together. Skulls, Irish crochet flowers and leaves make this one of the most unique pieces I have ever created. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I definitely will be making more of these!


If anyone is interested in the history of Momento Mori I ran across a wonderful website "Art of Mourning" a dedication to mourning, memorial and sentimental jewellery, funeralia and art. This site has a bit of everything. I can browse there for ages.

2 comments:

  1. Love your projects. The skull scarf would be a great not-costume for not-costume me ... the Halloween project to keep on giving. Did you create it or find it somewhere?

    Found your site looking for f-off bookmarks for a friend's friend's 40th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Cheap Like Me! I did create the momento mori scarf pattern and I hope to have a pattern up before Halloween on Ravelry. Just keep peeking back and thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete