Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wicked Crochet Does Easy Does It Socks

Here in Oregon it is said if anything sits to long in one place it will grow moss and or mold on it.(I thought my hair had a green hue to it.) Anyway needless to say it is freakin cold and wet here usually 9 months out of the year so you need socks..lots of socks.Warm socks to keep your toes toasty in this crappy Oregon weather.

Searching around the net you find literally TONS of patterns for knit socks. Well that doesn't do me any good. I couldn't knit a sock to save my life or knit anything else for that matter.  I found a few patterns for crochet socks but they were pretty dorky looking made with worsted weight yarn. I'd like my foot to fit in my shoe thank you very much. I was pretty disappointed until I found this great little book by Janet Rehfeldt.

Crocheted Socks: 16 Fun-To-Stitch Patterns 

Now this is what I was looking for! The socks in this pattern book are pretty cute and actually use sock yarn. I went with the Easy Does It pattern and used Serenity sock yarn (50% merino wool, 25% bamboo, 25% nylon) to make mine. The pattern was easy to follow and worked up pretty quickly. Super fun to make and a lot easier than I thought it would be. Remember crochet socks look very different while making them than knit socks. Knit socks have much more stretch than crochet socks. While working these up you may think your making socks for Bigfoot.
 I wear a size 7 shoe and the socks looked GIANT but ended up fitting pretty good. I tell ya they feel great on your tootsies too. Here's some photos of my finished project.

Close up of heel stitches.
 Close up of top stitches.





1 comment:

  1. Love your socks!!! I complimented a friend on her knit socks that her mom made her and at the next visit, she brought me my own pair. I love love love them but don't know how to knit so I'm looking for crochet patterns. I'll look for this book! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete