Monday, April 4, 2011

Edward Gorey's Neglected Murderesses: A Crochet Killer

Edward Gorey became particularly popular through his animated introduction to the PBS series Mystery! in the 1980's. I was always attracted to his dark humor and amazing Victorian Gothic artistic style. One of my favorite books and one of his more well-known works is "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" 

What a lovely surprise it was when I ran across his book Dancing Cats and Neglected Murderesses.
  
I'm always on the lookout for anything crochet with a strange or dark theme. Mrs. Daisy Sallow is now my most favorite crocheter of all time. 

Mrs Daisy Sallow eviscerated her daughter-in-law with a No. 7 hook, afterwords crocheting, over the course of three evenings, her shroud in a snowflake pattern (1921)
Now there's a lady who knows how to work a #7 hook.
Edward Gorey....I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment